Saturday, December 5, 2015

College Visit with Lewis

Well .. I thought if I came to Nebraska to see where my sweet boy would go off to college- I would be comforted. I would feel less sad about the thought of him leaving in 7 months because I would see where he would be and picture him here with new friends and attending classes and being on his own. I would feel less anxious about him being so far away - and feel assured that this is right where he needs to be.  I was wrong! Because now I know it's real! 😢! 

Okay - I admit.. I do feel better seeing the school and meeting the people.. It was all wonderful. 

Christopher aka Lewis (new name.. His middle name.. Still trying to make the switch as he prefers...ugh!).... Was in heaven this weekend. I was freezing- he walked around in shorts. I was obsessed with the deafening quiet on campus- he marveled at the peaceful calm. I wondered what he would do for fun- he was already envisioning himself on long runs through the campus, reading a good book in the coffee shop and hanging with friends in the dorms. I reminded him how far from home he will be and he celebrated the opportunity to spread his wings and do this thing on his own. 

My son- so very different from me. Adventurous, comfortable with quiet spaces, lover of all things music, laid back, calm, easygoing... Loved this small rural town with a Main Street and no sign of modern convenience. He loved the idea of being in a place where people know your name and enjoy simple things. 

Last night we went to see the choir perform their annual Christmas at Concordia concert. It was beautiful. Lewis was sold. He can't wait to be a part of this group singing next year. As we walked back to the car- he told me he thought God had it planned for him to come here all along. He said he felt peaceful and relaxed and inspired here. I'm sold too. The beginning of letting go... Trusting that Jesus will be with him every step of the way and praying we cherish our time together between now and then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment