Monday, June 20, 2011

Me & My Girl Conference - Vicki Courtney

Last weekend Cat and I went to a Mother/Daughter day with Vickey Courtney. She talked about the road between now "tweens" and  the teenage years and what kinds of challenges the world has in store for us. My prayer is to slow down and not be so busy that I miss the little things and to trust God to guide me and give me the wisdom I need during this next chapter in our life. My sweet girl is growing so fast ~ at 10 - she's almost as tall as me and she's wearing my shoes... but we still have a little window of time before puberty kicks in. She loves to play...all the time...  dress up in my closet with shoes and hats and scarves or up with her babies.. and she'll watch Parent Trap or PollyAnna or Anne of Green Gables all day if I let her. So - of course I want to freeze time and keep my precious girl safe and sweet and curious and playful.

It's such a different time than when I was her age. I grew up in the neighborhood - playing till the street light came on... My parents knew all the neighbors and I rode bikes to school each day with my sister. We didn't watch tv, .... probably the worst thing we had was listening to the Bee Gee's and having Shawn Cassidy posters hung up in our room... (which is why I laugh every time I see Cat's little "Justine Beiber" poster Lisa got her taped up on her closet door!)

Each night at bedtime, Cat and I say our prayers and when we talk about this or that... she makes me smile.. We recently agreed that we both LOVE the song Amazing Grace but had to admit that we didn't really know the words.. so we decided to learn a little each night. it's been so sweet to read the lyrics, turn off the light - sing a verse and see how much we remember. We've almost got the whole thing down. It's a precious time... and I'm loving every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment