Saturday, February 26, 2011

Two very different children

Jon and I are so very different in many ways and completely alike in other areas ~ and our kids are completely the same. I was thinking about this today after a typical Saturday at home. Jon left the house early for a round of golf. It didn't bother him one bit to get up at the crack of dawn (6:00 am) to get ready to get out on the course. (yuck! dreadful) I was fast asleep until 8:30 when Cat came to "snuggle" with me in my bed. I love sleep! and I hate getting up early for anything!!  I had a ton of little house projects to get done and by 10 am I had started the laundry, made breakfast for everyone, cleaned the kitchen, had my coffee - visited with Heather on the phone, organized 2 drawers in the laundry room and made a long "to-do" list for the day. and nothing made me happier than having my music on throughout the house, plugging away at my day and getting things done.

Our little mirror images had the same kind of day. Catherine scurried upstairs after breakfast to get herself dressed, fixed her hair, came down and picked up her Friday night palette she had made with about 10 blankets and pillows, and went upstairs to clean her room. Then she played on the driveway for awhile - singing to herself, jumping rope, hula-hooping, sidewalk chalk ... and on and on. (i've had no greater joy than many many moments of watching her "on the driveway" since she was about 4 years old.. entertaining herself!) She had to do her school reading - so she came in - brought all her babies downstairs to read to them and then set off on her bike to play with friends (constant motion.... ). Where was Christopher all this time? - in his pajamas - completely relaxed - watching some Egyptian movie and then headed to the Lego room for building. It never occurred to him to "be bored" or move from one activity to the next or be restless and ask "what are we doing today?" He was content.

It really made me think and remind myself. We are all different! What motivates me and makes me happy - is completely different for other people. If I have free time - I can't wait to work on my scrapbooks, read cookbooks, watch cooking shows, read one of my many bedside reading books (usually parenting related! or bible study) The idea of just sitting still and "relaxing" for hours - gives me anxiety. I feel like I am "wasting" time! Yet, Christopher teaches me that there is true peace in being focused and content with what's in front of you.

We have to look no further than our own family to learn all we need to learn about ourselves!

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Leah,
    This blog is so beautiful, it made me cry! Chris is an amazing boy, well, young man now. I also pray that this world will open their eyes to see what we see when we are with Chris.....raw natural innocent beauty and the heart of Jesus Himself. Chris you make my heart sing with joy everytime I am with you! Thank you for your love and patience with others and for being the best grandson, any grandparent could ask for.
    We love you,Happy Birthday!!
    Mamaw and Papaw xoxo

    ReplyDelete