Sunday, January 18, 2015

In memory of Tex!

I didn't want to get a dog. Our lives are busy and on some days it's all we can do to keep up with the 4 of us. How could we bring a dog into this chaotic family? We wet out to get the Christmas tree 2 years ago and there he was just begging to be adopted. Chris and kids begged, Jon begged and I maintained a firm No. Cat asked me to hold him and look at this sweet little puppy named Tex. I couldn't resist... He was pretty darn cute. I caved and we marched into Petsmart to load up on puppy gear. The adventure began immediately. Feeding house training, crate training. He was fun and sweet and loveable. He became Jon's day companion and Cat loved on him as soon as she was home from school. 

I was reluctant. I regretted having this new added responsibility. I resented that he had ruined out carpet.. I was annoyed that I felt guilty when I was home alone wth him and felt that he needed attention. 

This changed. I often worked late and when I got home and Jon and the kids were sleeping, Tex was there waiting for me. On Saturday mornings when I was ready to jump up and tackle the long to do list, tex was there to snuggle into the chair with me to force me to sit and relax. I went in endless walks with him determined to train him. He was a great dog. He was just what we needed. He forced us to work together as a family. Chris loved his buddy who would sit with him and listen to music. Jon loved his buddy who would keep him company all day. Cat loved to play with him, sleep with him, love on him and I loved to see him at the end of many long days. 

His time with us was too short,.. But I am thankful I said Yes to Tex! 

No comments:

Post a Comment