Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas 2010

I love Christmas! I always have ... and look forward to it all year. I love the weather, I love the music, I love the focus on Jesus and I love that most "Christmas related activities" involve friends and family. We started this Christmas season off with a rocky start. Catherine got the stomach flu so Jon headed out to the tree farm alone to pick out our tree. When he got home, Christopher and I ran out to see the tree tied on top of his car. They got the tree into our wagon and managed to get it inside. About 30 minutes before Jon got home, Christopher helped me completely re-arrange the family room to fit the tree. We lit the fire, put on our Christmas music and prepared for the decorating. Once we managed to get the tree into the holder it was time to cut away the netting. Jon got up on the ladder, cut away the string and all of a sudden we had this enourmous tree taking over our room. I insisted that the tree had to go back - how could we possibly manage with this huge tree. I think a couple of "what in the world were you thinking...." comments were repeated over and over! Then, my sweet boy came over and said to me - "Mommy, I love it. It's beautiful. and it's Christmas, don't you think you can make it work?!" and just like that .. that darn tree did look beautiful and perfect. I thanked Christopher for remindind me that we aren't looking for perfection... and yes.. we can definitely make it work AND then, I asked for the clippers. After a pretty hefty trimming of the bottom layer, we got the tree to a more manageable size and Jon and I decided to laugh about it and call it "The Year of the Big Tree!" The next day, when I got home, Jon said, come on in and see your big tree! and we cracked up laughing.

Tonight, we got out the ornaments and Christopher and Catherine had a ball reminiscing over their favorite ornaments. Each time they found one of theirs .. they said, "aw this one is my favorite, aw I remember this one." Then, for the 8th year in a row (started when she was 3!!) Catherine got up on the ladder and put our Angel on top of the tree. We watched the Polar Express and then picked out a Christmas book to read. The Christmas season is officially active now.

No comments:

Post a Comment